mentors experienced lower levels of anxiety, and described
their job as more meaningful, than those who did not mentor.
The Academy is preparing to initiate a formal mentoring
programme as a pilot scheme in the first instance and
wishes to hear from potential mentors.
1) Professional Qualification
• Recognised degree with relevant experience will be
2) CORU Registration
• CORU State Registered Medical Scientist
3) Academy Membership
• Valid Academy membership number required
4) Knowledge and Experience:
• Mentor candidates must have in-depth knowledge and
experience in the area in which they wish to mentor in
and be in good professional standing. It would also be
expected that each candidate actively participates in
various CPD activities. This is dependent on the career
stage of the mentor, both advanced and early career
mentors are encouraged to apply.
• The skills that an early mentor (<5 years working postqualification)
would be expected to include some of
the following; interview and job application experience,
the experience of attaining CORU registration, attaining
a postgraduate qualification, experience of having
completed training in their department, experience of
starting and participating in an out-hours service.
• The skills that a more established mentor (>5 years
of experience) should include some of the following:
experience applying and interviewing for promotional
posts, experience of having attained ACSLM fellowship
for qualifications, have attained a postgraduate
qualification, are actively engaged in research, have
experience in interviewing and training staff, personnel
management, lab equipment and stock management,
quality and accreditation preparation.
• The lists above are intended to be guidelines and
applicants are expected to have attained some of
the skills and experiences, not have all skills are not
grounds for excluding candidates.
5) Desirable Skills:
• Enthusiasm for Medical Science
• Willingness to Teach
• Communication skills
• Organisational skills
The Academy will provide training for mentors and expects
the programme to last up to six month.
Queries to: email@example.com